Building a website for free sounds great, right? Whether you just wanted to create a personal website or you wanted to start an online business, you’ve come to the right place.
The process of website creation starts by using a website builder. It’s as simple as creating a Facebook account.
Most website builders let you sign up for free but you can’t use custom domain. This means if you wanted to brand your website (e.g. example.com), there’s still an extension added (e.g. example.godaddy.com). This means, in order to have a custom domain (your own brand/website); you need to upgrade your account. By doing this, you can unlock more features.
Can I really build a website for free?
In reality, you can build a website for free without spending a cent; however, this website will be placed on a subdomain.
If you’re a beginner and if you’d like to build your own website using WordPress, which is the most popular content management system, you can do it here and you get to have free access on how to monetize it.
What is a subdomain?
A subdomain is a domain that is a part of a larger domain. For example, left.body.com and right.body.com are subdomains for body.com.
How to create a website for free
- Choose a website builder that you prefer, which offers a free plan.
- Create your domain.
- Register and choose a website template.
- Customize your template.
- Fill in your pages with your unique content.
- Preview your website.
What are the different free website builders?
Most website builders start with a free trial. If you wanted to create a professional-looking website, you have to pay. By doing this, you can publish your own domain.
Here are the websites that offers free trial:
You can build a good-looking website under the free version with a Wix-branded subdomain. They have hundreds of beautiful templates to choose from. To connect a custom domain, these are the plans you can choose from:
- Connect Domain – $4.50 per month. Most basic. It has wix brand ads.
- Combo – $8.50 per month. For personal use.
- Unlimited – $12.50. For entrepreneurs and freelancers.
- eCommerce – $16.50. Best for small business.
- VIP – $24.50
These plans all come with a 30-day money back guarantee, unlimited pages of contents, unlimited bandwidth, free hosting, integrated ecommerce, $0 transaction fee, no wix.com ads, and premium technical support.
More features are added depending on the price. This is an easy-to-use website builder for small-size businesses because it has fully customizable templates.
Webnode has over 30 million registered users and it is one of the largest in the website creation field. They support more than 20 languages and even let you create a multilingual website.
It includes full support for SEO and advanced SEO techniques, and is generating clean URLs and site maps.
Webnode has this premium plan pricing:
- Free – This doesn’t include own domain name.
- Limited – $3.95 a month. This is the basic plan that allows you to use your own domain.
- Mini – $5.95 a month.
- Standard – $11.95 a month.
- Profi – $19.95
All contain webnode ads except for the Standard and Profi.
It limits you to 20 pages unless you upgrade. This is best for artists and people who’d like to have their website visually appealing to the audience. It offers a 14-day free trial.
Squarespace claim themselves as the website builder for blogs, portfolio sites, and online stores.
Annual plans range from $12 to $40. The four different plans are:
- Personal – $12 a month. A good solution if you don’t need an online store.
- Business – $18 a month. Includes an online store with a transaction fee of 3%
- Online Store (Basic) – $26 a month. Sell online without transaction fee
- Online Store (Advanced – $40 a month. Use advanced eCommerce features
GoDaddy simply lets you enter the information or content you want and then it generates a unique site for you. This is the best solution for any individual looking to get online easily without the hassle of going through some steps.
It has a 1-month free trial using a subdomain. Price starts from $9.99 to order your own domain.
GoDaddy’s monthly pricing:
- Personal – $5.99 per month.
- Business – $9.99 per month. It lets you create an online presence for your business.
- Business Plus – $14.99 per month. It lets you attract more customers and book appointments online.
- Online Store – $19.99 per month. It lets you sell products and services with an online store.
If you want your site to be on a subdomain, then Weebly is best for you. It has no expiration.
Under the 1-year plan, here’s the monthly price:
- Starter – $8 per month. For personal use.
- Pro – $12 per month. For groups and organizations.
- Business – $25 per month. For small businesses and stores.
- Performance – $38 per month. For powersellers.
If you’d rather pay month by month, the prices will be $14, $18, $35, and $46, respectively.
Weebly doesn’t have any caps on pages to create on the website. Unlike other competitors, they remove ads when you upgrade to the plans.
Building a website here is as easy as 1-2-3.
The free package comes with a website on a system subdomain. The free plan can let you create any type of website or blog but there are limits on the website size and bandwidth (no more than 1GB of traffic per month) but this can be change with a paid plan.
If you want to connect your custom domain, the premium plan costs $9.80 per month with site123 ads removed.
One can definitely build a website for free under a subdomain. However, there will still be brand ads present on it.
If you’d like to have your own domain with no ads on it, look for the best plan that suits your need. Most of the time, you can save more if you go with the yearly plan rather than a monthly subscription.
If you’d like to build a free website today with free training on how to start your online business, click the link below to know more information.